While scouring around the Abbey tombstones and under the arches , I hear a rustling noise, coming from outside a small archway. I shouted “Hello there" . A soft shout back, “Be’god you gave me a fright” as a bentover man, a farmer, in his late seventies came through the arch looking my way. I told him I was checking out Terence Mac Donagh’s marker stone since he was one of my ancestors. I found his marker through an archway and in a small alcove.Terence McDonough lyes win this grave.
That says enough for all that generous, brave, faceious, friendly, witty, just and good.
In this Lord’d name is fully understood. For it includes what e’r we virtue call, and is the hieroglyphick of them all.
Pray for ye soul of Ellin’r O Roirke his wife who caused this monument to be erected in the year 1737
October 1819 this monument was removed from Ballinagar and erected here by Andrew MacDonagh of Derna
“He’s not buried there" the farmer says .
“My father told me the story that the stone was took from Ballygar, in Roscommon, in the middle of the night and put it here” “Your family from around here?” he goes on to ask me.
"Yes, from Sligo, from the Ballymote area".
“Ah sure that six-seven miles away.” he says
....... to be continued ....
No comments:
Post a Comment